Areas of Focus
“Even when I’m away on vacation, I’m not away. I’m not going to unplug and not pay attention to what’s going on in this industry, because one week could be a lifetime.”
For companies operating at the intersection of digital media, advertising, technology and consumer privacy, the legal landscape is rapidly evolving. Gary Kibel provides much-needed direction to clients involved in both emerging businesses and well-established companies engaging new technologies. While most of his clients are, broadly speaking, in the marketing industry, his deep knowledge of privacy and data security issues makes him a sought-after counselor to companies in the technology, e-commerce, financial services and employment sectors as well.
In the digital media space, where entire industries can rise and fall seemingly overnight, he helps his clients confidently navigate uncharted terrain. They count on him for guidance in complying with — and helping to shape — the best practices that must serve their industry in the absence of legal precedents. For more mature companies, he helps clients incorporate new concepts into existing infrastructures.
Much of Gary’s time is spent staying current in this fast-paced environment. Whether through his representation of key industry clients, his active involvement in trade associations or his recognized thought leadership, he is deeply immersed in the issues facing tech-forward companies. Clients call on him, literally every day, to provide crucial perspective on cutting-edge issues with enormous consequence to their business.
In the privacy space, where laws are rapidly evolving as well, Gary keeps his clients moving forward in a manner designed for compliance, taking care not to impede their progress. Part of his approach is to ensure that regulatory compliance, far from being a debilitating obstacle, can be turned to a strategic advantage by companies that can incorporate the right policies into their commercial platforms. For clients who may be targets of privacy complaints, he suggests timely and practical options, assuring that their disclosures and processes will be both comprehensive and well thought out.
Gary co-leads a team focused on the CCPA, GDPR, and other enacted and pending state and federal legislation, as well as self-regulatory regimes. In addition, he regularly advises clients regarding the burgeoning industry of CBD/cannabis marketing practices.
Counseled one of the largest media companies in Europe on privacy issues connected with launching a new service in the U.S. Helped the client synchronize requirements under EU and U.S. privacy laws and advised on best practices in the U.S.
Assisted a large international telecommunications provider with the launch of a B2B service in the United States that enables business customers to leverage online services in a new, unique and efficient fashion.
Advised an international clothing brand on privacy issues connected with launching its e-commerce service for the U.S. market. Helped the client synchronize requirements under EU and U.S. privacy laws and advised on best practices in the U.S.
Represented an ad tech company in connection with multiple third-party subpoenas and DOJ investigations into the practices of other industry players. Advised on sensitive issues over sharing confidential business strategies and critiquing the practices of other industry participants.
Represented a major advertising trade association in connection with the development of privacy guidelines and position papers, helping the organization become more assertive in the privacy debate.
Advised a major sports organization on privacy issues for the launch of a new website that closely integrates with broadcast networks and local affiliates and provides tools and services for fans.
Managed and supervised a breach response action plan for a leading online entertainment service, including application of 50 separate state security breach notification laws to unique facts.
Advised an ad tech company in connection with the launch of a new advertising service for Chinese advertisers targeting the U.S. market, and U.S. advertisers targeting the Chinese market. Synchronized privacy and media legal requirements and best practices between the two jurisdictions.
Insights + Events
- Event Davis+Gilbert Privacy + Data Security Event | Privacy Update from the EU & UK
March 30, 2023
- Alert Utah’s First-of-its-Kind Social Media Laws Impose Sweeping Protections for Kids and Teens
March 24, 2023
- Press Mention AdExchanger | What TV Advertisers Need To Know About ACR In 2023
March 16, 2023
- Alert Twitter Goes Green: What This Means for Marijuana Advertising
March 6, 2023
- Press Mention Adweek | 4 More States Push for Tougher Privacy Laws, Spurring Self-governing Standards
February 27, 2023
- Press Mention Adweek | Misinformation, Antitrust and Copyright Loom as Regulatory Hurdles for AI and ChatGPT
February 21, 2023
- Event Performance Marketing Association | Performance Marketing and Privacy: Don’t Take it Personally
February 21, 2023
- Event kidTECH Conference | Lunching With the Lawyers: Big Developments in Privacy and Safety Law
February 16, 2023
- Alert The FTC Enforces its First Fine Under the Health Breach Notification Rule
February 13, 2023
- Press Mention AdExchanger | California AG Issues CCPA Warning to Mobile Apps
February 1, 2023
- View More
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., 1999)
- Binghamton University, School of Management (M.B.A., 1992)
- Binghamton University (B.A., 1990)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business® “Recognized Practitioner” 2015-2018, Nationwide Privacy & Data Security
- The Legal 500 United States® 2012-2022, Cyber Law (Including Data Privacy and Data Protection)
- BTI Consulting Group “Client Service All-Stars” 2022
- New York
- New Jersey
General Counsel, Performance Marketing Association
Member, Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Legal Affairs Committee
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Past President, Binghamton University Alumni Association