Areas of Focus
Andrew Richman supports all aspects of entertainment, media, sports, advertising and technology transactions, and provides advice on intellectual property (IP) issues. His creative approaches help clients confidently pursue partnership opportunities that generate innovative campaigns, materials and activations.
With a business-focused approach, Andrew assists advertising and marketing agencies, sports agencies, production companies, esports apps, brands, individual talent and creators in bringing their big ideas to life with minimal risk. Drawing on his in-house counsel experience, he understands the pressures clients face and lessens their workload with practical and efficient legal support.
Andrew provides insight and perspective on issues that arise in talent and influencer deals, sponsorships, productions, agency-client agreements, services agreements, trademark licensing, copyright licensing and cross-platform distributions. Recognizing that many transactions he handles involve partnerships, he seeks to facilitate conversations and negotiations that establish a productive middle ground with opposing parties.
Before he joined Davis+Gilbert, Andrew was in-house counsel in the global marketing division of Endeavor (previously WME|IMG), where he gained experience in advertising, experiential marketing, privacy and data security, influencer and talent deals, FTC compliance and IP matters. While in law school, Andrew pursued his interests in media and advertising through internships at Comedy Central and Excel Sports Management.
Assisted a major public packaging company with its transformation to a consumer-focused business by helping it enter the realm of sports sponsorship. Negotiated a 10-year naming rights and sponsorship agreement, which included naming rights for an NBA, NHL and NLL arena, as well as interrelated sports sponsorship deals involving teams and venues in the major American sports leagues and English Premier League.
Negotiated a multi-year, multimillion dollar talent contract on behalf of an Adweek Global Advertising Agency of the Year and its automotive client with an A-list American actress and filmmaker.
Integrated into the legal department at one of the most innovative and fastest-growing cosmetic and beauty brands in the world. Advised on the creation of the client’s loyalty program and reviewed all advertising and marketing materials to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Advised the client on the nuances around the new Olympic Rule 40, including helping the client effectively organize its marketing strategies and talent agreements during the Olympic Rule 40 blackout period.
Negotiated multi-year talent contracts with top NFL and NBA athletes on behalf of an innovative e-sports tournament app to help drive awareness and visibility.
Insights + Events
- Alert 2024 Top 10 Advertising + Marketing Trends: Balancing Risks & Rewards
January 24, 2024
- Alert Will the Hot Bot Summer Cool Off This Fall?
October 17, 2023
- Event ANA | Legal Webinar | “Avoiding Penalties: Staying Compliant On and Off the Playing Field”
September 12, 2023
- Getting in the Game of College Athletics, Media and Marketing Sports Business Journal | A New Semester of Challenges: College Athletics’ Gambling Dilemma
September 11, 2023
- Event Institute for Public Relations | “Intellectual Property and Contract Considerations for Public Relations Firms Using Generative AI”
June 27, 2023
- Publication The Licensing Journal | Is an NIL Crackdown on the Horizon? NCAA Signals Changes in Enforcement
June 21, 2023
- Emerging Issues Association of National Advertisers | Legal Affairs Committee Webinar | “Stay in Compliance Without Losing Your Edge”
May 11, 2023
- Alert As Federal and State Governments Take Action Against TikTok, What Should Brands and Agencies Know?
April 28, 2023
- Emerging Issues Worldcom | Intellectual Property and Contract Considerations for Public Relations Firms Using Generative AI
April 26, 2023
- Event Public Relations Society of America – New York Chapter | Intellectual Property and Contract Considerations for Public Relations Firms Using Generative AI
April 18, 2023
- View More
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., 2016)
- University of Central Florida (B.S., B.A., 2013)
- New York
Member, New York City Bar Association
― Member, Sports Law Committee
Member, New York County Lawyers Association
Board Member, Sports & Entertainment Equity Network (SEEN)