Areas of Focus
"When complex legal issues arise, clients need practical guidance informed by their unique business and culture. I can jump into a problem quickly to recommend concrete action items and cost-effective solutions that prevent issues from escalating and is tailored to how the company operates."
Sharon Cohen’s proactive counsel equips employers to address challenges throughout the employment life cycle. Clients value Sharon’s ability to navigate high-stakes issues swiftly. Drawing on industry best practices and her early career litigation experience, she delivers solutions to help clients limit their legal risk, protect their public image and maintain employee morale.
When working with creative agencies, financial service firms and health care companies, Sharon strives to preempt or drastically limit potential liability in all aspects of employment. She regularly advises in-house counsel, human resources and senior leadership teams on day-to-day employment issues including workplace investigations, wage and hour compliance, family and medical leaves, disability accommodations, terminations and complex employment agreements.
With her litigation background and extensive experience conducting internal investigations of highly sensitive discrimination and harassment allegations, Sharon lends perspective on how a judge or mediator might assess a claim, helps resolve matters quickly and provides practical recommendations to mitigate risk. Using her deep knowledge of nationwide employment laws and industry trends, she provides targeted, proactive advice and cost-effective solutions to keep sensitive personnel matters from escalating.
Sharon often advises on the rapidly evolving area of family and medical leave and sick leave laws. Clients rely on her deep understanding of these laws and industry benchmarks in crafting paid leave policies that are both compliant and competitive to help retain talent. She also regularly trains in-house teams to stay current on nationwide sick and family leave laws and conducts anti-harassment and diversity, equity and inclusion trainings focused on spotting unconscious bias and avoiding costly mistakes that could result in discrimination and retaliation claims.
Achieved complete victory for a publicly traded, multinational provider of automated material handling solutions and software in a U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruling affirming dismissal of case involving FLSA, Title VII, ADEA, and Section 1983 claims.
Represented a global advertising agency in a hotly contested case brought by a C-Suite executive alleging sexual harassment and retaliation and reached an amicable settlement during discovery.
Obtained numerous dismissals of wrongful termination, sexual harassment and retaliation charges and claims for a national food retail company in proceedings before state administrative agencies.
Provided training seminars to human resources and benefits professionals at a global marketing and communications holding company regarding rapidly changing sick and family leave laws. The seminars addressed payroll and notice compliance requirements, and how the changes affect paid time off and salary continuation policies.
Conducted an internal investigation for a nationwide technology client involving highly sensitive allegations of racism.
Conducted internal investigations for a major broadcasting company involving high-profile and highly sensitive allegations of sexual harassment.
Conducted an internal investigation for nationwide client involving highly sensitive allegations of racist/sexist conduct by senior executives.
Conducted an internal investigation for a leading entertainment company involving sensitive sexual harassment claims.
Insights + Events
- Event Davis+Gilbert Hybrid Seminar | Restrictive Covenants and Non-Disclosure Agreements: Recent Legal Developments and Best Practices
March 30, 2022
- Press Mention Law.com | Labor of Law: Employers Expand Paid Sick Leave to Try to Retain Workers
February 25, 2022
- Press Mention Law.com | ‘Rippling Effect’ of Pay-Transparency Laws to Test Legal Departments
February 15, 2022
- Event New York State Bar Association | Workplace Investigations
January 28, 2022
- Alert California Expands Restrictions on Employers’ Use of Non-Disclosure Provisions
December 13, 2021
- Building Connections: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion NYSBA Intellectual Property Law Section Fall Meeting | Driving Opportunities and Change for Diversity and Inclusion in Your Practice and in the Profession
December 8, 2021
- Demystifying COVID-19 Complexities and Thriving in Uncertain Times New York City SHRM Legislative and Legal Conference
October 28, 2021
- Building Connections: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Davis+Gilbert Counsel 2U® Labor + Employment Webinar | Remote Employees, COVID Vaccines and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Recent Legal Developments and Best Practices
February 3, 2021
- FAQ California Employers’ Deadline to Submit Pay Data Is Fast Approaching
January 25, 2021
- FAQ US DOL Releases Regulations Clarifying Employer FFCRA Obligations
October 14, 2020
- View More
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 2012)
- Executive Editor, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law
- Brandeis University (B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2009)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business® “Associate to Watch” 2021, New York Labor & Employment
- The Legal 500 United States® 2021, Labor and Employment: Workplace and Employment Counseling
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District CourtSouthern District of New York
- U.S. District CourtEastern District of New York
- U.S. District CourtDistrict of New Jersey
Member, Davis+Gilbert Women's Forum Committee
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, New York State Bar Association