Areas of Focus
Paavana Kumar helps major advertisers and retailers assess risk as they create compelling campaigns, run high-exposure promotions and streamline the online customer experience. She is a particular asset to clients seeking to leverage influencer talent, engage more creatively on social media, and reimagine their online e-commerce and subscription programs.
Paavana’s ability to assess problems and provide quick, efficient risk assessments enables her to partner effectively with companies across industries, especially those pursuing a deeper e-tail focus. She is a sounding board for C-suite executives and general counsel when making high-stakes judgment calls about social media opportunities, FTC disclosure requirements and major changes to their business models.
As many clients move toward subscription models, Paavana’s knowledge of the highly regulated automatic renewal and negative option laws across all 50 states enables her to help companies draft transparent marketing disclosures and design compliant user flows. She also advises on high-exposure consumer promotions, including sweepstakes, contests, loyalty rewards and gift cards, cause marketing and donation programs, text message and email marketing, and major entertainment and sports collaborations.
Whether she’s counseling on a discrete issue or working with global legal teams for clearance for an international campaign, Paavana delivers practical advice with enthusiasm and a sense of humor. She is a recognized thought leader who frequently speaks and writes about leading-edge e-commerce and influencer marketing topics for in-house counsel and industry stakeholders.
Paavana actively supports the firm’s recruiting efforts and enjoys mentoring summer associates.
Partnered with a major fashion retailer on its global influencer and user-generated content social media promotions and drafted internal and external influencer marketing policies for use across international offices.
Helped a home security company transition from its door-to-door business model to an entirely online business model in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This included creating e-commerce terms for its updated website, reviewing its online automatic renewal terms and sale disclosures, and advising on how the door-to-door and other home security laws impact its online businesses.
Structured a new subscription and automatic renewal program for a nationwide cosmetics subscription box service that experienced a surge in sales during the pandemic. Advised on a program that facilitates donations to charities benefitting first responders and other frontline workers, helping the client comply with charitable solicitation laws and associated registration requirements, including sign-up processes and disclosures.
Provided comprehensive advice to a major drone and technology manufacturer with respect to its planned roll-out of a potential direct-to-consumer racing drone. Advised the client on its terms and conditions and sales policies, as well as the regulatory landscape applicable to its e-commerce business, GDPR and other international privacy concerns, the use of brand ambassadors, fundraising via social platforms, and packaging and labeling.
Insights + Events
- Event Practising Law Institute | Hot Topics in Advertising Law for E-Commerce Companies
January 11, 2023
- Event Association of National Advertisers | Masters of Advertising Law Conference 2022
November 8, 2022
- Event Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance | Global Advertising in an Age of Crisis and Change
October 13, 2022
- Alert FTC Staff Report Brings Dark Patterns to Light
October 12, 2022
- Alert SEC Penalizes Kim Kardashian Over $1 Million for Paid Crypto Post
October 11, 2022
- Event Public Relations Society of America New York Chapter | High Risks, High Rewards: Navigating the Changing Influencer Marketing Landscape
September 29, 2022
- Press Mention AdExchanger | State Privacy Laws Will Spur Action Against Dark Patterns
August 17, 2022
- Event Association of National Advertisers | Dark Patterns: Regulators Implore Businesses to Avoid the Dark Side
August 9, 2022
- Alert California’s Amended Automatic Renewal Law Takes Effect July 1, 2022: What Subscription-Based Companies Need to Know
June 28, 2022
- Exploring the Metaverse and Web 3.0 – More than Crypto and NFTs Welcome to the Metaverse: Legal Issues Marketers Need To Consider
June 2, 2022
- View More
- Columbia Law School (J.D., 2013)
- Member, Columbia Journal of Law & the Arts
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Princeton University (B.A., magna cum laude, 2010)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” 2017-2022, Media and Advertising
- New York
Member, Davis+Gilbert Mentoring and Professional Development Committee
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, New York City Bar Association