Areas of Focus
With extensive experience in data privacy and cybersecurity, Jeremy Merkel helps companies deal with compliance gaps by devising unique strategies that achieve commercial objectives while complying with privacy and data security laws. Jeremy develops practical solutions for the collection, use and transfer of information, working closely with clients to carefully consider their goals.
Considerable knowledge of the cybersecurity landscape and technical experience in data security incidents makes Jeremy a trusted advisor to companies in times of crisis. Jeremy frequentlyadvises on state, federal and global data privacy laws and assists with complex data protection compliance, data management, cloud and software-as-a-service (Saas) issues and outsourcing arrangements. When companies face crises, Jeremy helps restore systems to mitigate damage to brand and operations.
Prior to joining Davis+Gilbert, Jeremy was an associate at Katten Muchin & Rosenman in the Privacy, Data and Cybersecurity practice group. He also interned at Facebook, the Federal Trade Commission and the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School.
Insights + Events
- Alert Roblox Found in Violation of CARU’s Advertising Guidelines
June 8, 2023
- Alert Washington is First State to Pass Consumer Health Data Privacy Law
May 3, 2023
- Alert FTC Warns Marketers on AI Claims in Advertising
March 20, 2023
- Alert 2023 Top Privacy Issues: New Laws & Expanded Enforcement
January 5, 2023
- Alert California Governor Signs Age-Appropriate Design Code into Law
September 16, 2022
- American University (J.D., 2015)
- American University Law Review
- George Washington University (B.A., 2012)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US)
- The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" 2020-2021, Intellectual Property Law
- New York
- New Jersey
Member, New York City Bar Association
― Member, Committee on Information Technology and Cyber Law