Areas of Focus
Claudia Cohen’s practice spans all aspects of domestic and international trademark law. She advises brands, advertising and marketing agencies, and celebrities on protecting and enforcing their trademarks and other intellectual property (IP) rights.
With her attention to detail and responsiveness, Claudia counsels clients on trademark clearance and selection, prosecution, portfolio maintenance, policing, enforcement and licensing. She provides effective solutions to trademark clearance issues and develops strategies to help mitigate the risk of infringement claims. When claims do arise, she draws on her earlier litigation experience to defend clients’ rights and resolve matters quickly. In addition to enforcing and safeguarding the value of a client’s IP, Claudia acts to uncover and stop infringements, including in all types of advertising, on the internet, on social media platforms and in domain names.
Claudia’s trademark prosecution experience includes creating strategies to overcome registration refusals by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and successfully obtain trademark registrations. She also initiates and defends trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Claudia has practiced commercial litigation at Davis+Gilbert as well as earlier in her career at Milbank LLP. She also maintains an active pro bono practice focused on IP issues.
Obtained federal trademark registrations for a celebrity client, overcoming substantive registration refusal and securing the cancellation of a blocking registered mark through a Trademark Trial and Appeals Board proceeding.
Created and executed brand protection program for a television personality, which involved continuously and effectively removing a high volume of trademark, copyright, and right of publicity infringements on social media platforms, on websites and in online marketplaces.
Protecting the international trademark portfolio of a national pizza chain by advising on and managing enforcements on infringements and oppositions to conflicting trademark applications in multiple foreign countries.
Managing the domestic and international trademark portfolio of a well-known fashion brand, including conducting trademark clearance searches, filing and prosecuting new trademark applications, maintaining existing trademark registrations and handling enforcement actions.
Won the transfer of four domain names to a national pizza chain that incorporated its name and trademark, in proceedings before the World Intellectual Property Organization under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy.
Insights + Events
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Spinning Out of Trademark Protection: Highly Distinctive Marks Versus Generic Terms
April 13, 2022
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Capsule Collections Capture a Moment in Time
April 13, 2022
- Publication LawInSport | Controlling Athletes’ Trademarks: What Can Sports Learn From WWE’s Trademark Ownership?
October 15, 2021
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Black Lives Matter Movement Sparks Branding Changes
October 6, 2020
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law The NAD’s Need for Speed
October 6, 2020
- Alert Supreme Court Unanimously Rules That Willfulness Is Not Required to Recover Profits
July 7, 2020
- Alert The Impact of COVID-19 on U.S. Trademark Applications and Registrations
April 2, 2020
- Alert Brexit’s Impact on European Union Trademarks
February 25, 2020
- Alert Copying Photographs Found Online and the Fair Use Defense
July 12, 2019
- Publication Law360 | Combating False Celebrity Endorsements Online
June 17, 2019
- View More
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2012)
- Cornell University (B.S., 2009)
- Best Lawyers®* “Ones to Watch” 2021-2022, Intellectual Property Law
- New York
- U.S. District CourtSouthern District of New York
- U.S. District CourtEastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of AppealsSecond Circuit