Date | September 18
Location | Webinar
On June 29, 2023, the FTC announced its newly revised and long-awaited Endorsement Guides, which aim to update and clarify previous guidance regarding the use of endorsements and testimonials in light of market trends and the digital landscape. In this session, Paavana Kumar will discuss the updated Endorsement Guides which reflect public comments received by the FTC since it first published its proposed updates in 2022 and include several departures from the agency’s first proposals that will change marketers’, agencies and influencers’ approach to endorsements going forward.
Moreover, the FTC remains focused on obtaining civil monetary penalties through every avenue possible, and just a day after releasing the updated Endorsement Guides, proposed a new rule to combat misleading consumer review and testimonial practices.
Key discussion points include:
- The FTC’s expansion of what it considers an “endorsement”
- What it really means to make a “clear and conspicuous” and adequate disclosure on social media – which may not be achieved by using a platform’s built-in disclosure tool
- Child-directed advertising
- The FTC’s perspective on deceptive review practices and an overview of its proposed rulemaking on consumer reviews
- Paavana Kumar, Partner, Advertising + Marketing