Areas of Focus
“To give the best advice possible, I learn everything I can about a client’s business, and then craft solutions that sit in the sweet spot between achieving business goals and managing legal risk.”
Louis DiLorenzo brings an industry perspective to helping clients develop creative, enduring advertising and marketing campaigns. He counsels some of the most innovative and storied brands, agencies, and media companies on issues that may put advertisers and campaigns at risk, including false advertising, intellectual property, and industry-specific laws and regulations.
As a former advertising industry professional, Louis understands how the strategies that inspire campaigns can also inform legal outcomes. Clients rely on his advice and instincts throughout the concepting process. He often serves as an informal sounding board as they test ideas and consider applications. Combining experienced judgment with a passion for the industry and a sense of humor, Louis immerses himself in each client’s business to help them distinguish real risks from theoretical ones and move projects forward with confidence.
While Louis works with a wide range of brands and industries, he has a particular focus on the alcoholic beverage sector. With his up-to-the-minute information and analysis of risk “hot spots,” clients navigate constantly changing laws and regulations in all 50 states. Louis also counsels businesses in other highly regulated industries, including automotive, tobacco, CBD, marijuana, food and beverage, and sports betting.
Whether he is digging deep into vehicle specifications for a car campaign or mastering the science behind toothpaste, Louis is committed to understanding the key facts as well as the legal complexities to provide tailored, actionable advice. He also leverages his knowledge of pricing strategy to help retailers advertise discounts and sales in a way that maximizes revenue and perceived savings while appropriately mitigating legal risk.
In addition to his advertising and marketing work, Louis maintains an active pro bono practice focused on immigration issues.
Representing a global beer manufacturer in advertising and alcoholic beverage-specific matters, including counseling the brand and its advertising agencies, preparing terms for consumer offers, reviewing creative and promotional concepts and establishing policies for compliance with state-specific alcoholic beverage trade practices and tied-house laws.
Advising a global media company regarding policies for accepting advertisements for products in various highly regulated industries, including alcohol, marijuana, CBD, sports betting, cryptocurrency and e-cigarettes.
Working with a top advertising agency and its global automotive client to ensure that all advertising, marketing, promotion, talent, production, music and related activities, materials and programs are legally compliant throughout the world, while providing all necessary agreements and transactional support.
Helped a publishing company develop specific advertising claims against a leading competitor based on the results of a study we created, which evaluated the performance and customer satisfaction of one of their products.
Represented a multinational consumer health company in an advertising challenge brought before the NAD by a major consumer goods company, regarding the client's dietary supplement product. Achieved victory for our client by demonstrating that the core product efficacy claims were fully substantiated.
Insights + Events
- Alert 2024 Top 10 Advertising + Marketing Trends: Balancing Risks & Rewards
January 24, 2024
- Event Practising Law Institute | One-Hour Briefing | “Advertising for Highly Regulated Industries”
January 11, 2024
- Publication Law360 | Regulatory Shift May Offer Lifeline to NY’s Cannabis Industry
November 2, 2023
- Getting in the Game of College Athletics, Media and Marketing Sports Business Journal | A New Semester of Challenges: College Athletics’ Gambling Dilemma
September 11, 2023
- Blog Post What’s Next for Cannabis After MasterCard’s Debit Card Ban?
August 30, 2023
- Press Mention PRWeek | Liv Golf Tees up Pressing Fara Questions for Agencies
June 7, 2023
- Publication Practising Law Institute | Working with Brand Ambassadors: Why Brands Should Endorse Morals Clauses
April 28, 2023
- Alert Key Influences on the Cannabis Market in 2023
April 20, 2023
- Alert The SEC Takes on Lindsay Lohan, Jake Paul and Six Other Celebrities Over Paid Crypto Posts
March 28, 2023
- Alert Twitter Goes Green: What This Means for Marijuana Advertising
March 6, 2023
- View More
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
- New York University (B.A., cum laude, 2010)
- The Legal 500 United States® “Recommended Attorney” 2023, Advertising and Marketing: Transactional and Regulatory
- New York
- U.S. District CourtSouthern District of New York
- U.S. District CourtEastern District of New York
Member, Davis+Gilbert Pro Bono Committee