Areas of Focus
“I triage immediate issues and then create preventive measures to minimize future liability and prevent recurrences. It’s not enough to lay out the risks and options; I recommend a path forward, guiding my clients’ businesses as if they are my own.”
Gregg Gilman, co-chair of the Labor + Employment Practice Group, advises businesses on all facets of labor and employment law. Representing businesses in the marketing and communications, hospitality, financial services, real estate and construction industries, among others, he solves immediate issues and establishes preventive measures to help minimize his clients’ future liability.
Gregg’s well-drafted employment and executive compensation agreements help businesses retain and incentivize key talent while protecting his clients’ confidential information and other business interests. He crafts policies and protocols to help clients avoid risk, particularly concerning wage and hour issues, reductions in force, and joint employer issues. He is also known for his cutting-edge, effective anti-harassment and workplace sensitivity training, as well as for developing and implementing diversity, equity and inclusion programs.
Regarded as a leading advisor in employment crises, Gregg is exceptionally skilled in helping clients preserve their brands and reputations. He guides businesses through high-level sensitive investigations, terminations, allegations of harassment, and raiding and employee lift out matters. When labor and employment disputes have turned contentious, Gregg has achieved impressive results in federal and state courts and through arbitration and mediation. Highly regarded for his deep knowledge, Gregg has also been retained as an expert witness in labor and employment arbitrations.
Clients praise Gregg’s creative, practical and strategic approach, negotiating skills, and ability to resolve complicated issues. With more than 30 years of experience across industries and employment situations, it would be difficult to find an employment or labor-related challenge he has not successfully handled.
Won dismissal on summary judgment of a complex multimillion-dollar breach of contract claim brought by a portfolio manager against a global investment management firm.
Conducted an internal investigation for nationwide client involving highly sensitive allegations of racist/sexist conduct by senior executives.
Serving as national employment counsel for a construction company on all employment matters.
Achieved highly favorable results for a hospitality client in connection with a series of unfair labor practice charges filed with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). The case is still cited as a precedential decision by the NLRB.
Represented a private equity real estate firm as labor counsel in the acquisition of one of the largest rental properties in the U.S. and the sales of midtown NYC hotels.
Conducted internal investigations for a major broadcasting company involving high-profile and highly sensitive allegations of sexual harassment.
Represented a global healthcare technology company in an AAA arbitration trial regarding a covenant not to compete in a business partner agreement with another software company. Defeated the plaintiff company’s attempt to obtain an injunction that would have forced our client to shut down a component of its software, and defeated a motion to vacate in the Southern District of New York.
Insights + Events
- Event 2022 Innovating Commerce Serving Communities U.S. Law Conference | Respect and Dignity in the Workplace – The Intersection of Privacy and Retail – Lease Remedies Post-Covid
October 26, 2022
- Event 2022 National HR in Hospitality Conference & Expo | 50 Legal Tips in 50 Minutes and What Issues are of Interest to the Plaintiff’s Bar
June 14, 2022
- Event Davis+Gilbert Hybrid Seminar | Restrictive Covenants and Non-Disclosure Agreements: Recent Legal Developments and Best Practices
March 30, 2022
- Alert New York Whistleblower Statute Amended to Significantly Expand Worker Protections
January 10, 2022
- Event 2021 National HR in Hospitality Conference & Expo | 50 Legal Tips in 50 Minutes, Roundtable: Wage and Hour Class Actions and Lawsuits Are Coming: What Types of Litigation Have Been and Will be Filed?
September 21, 2021
- Alert Amendments Expanding NYC’S “Ban-the-Box” Law Take Effect on July 29
September 9, 2021
- Alert New York HERO Act Establishes Additional COVID-19 Workplace Safety Requirements
May 13, 2021
- Event 2020 ICSC U.S. Law Conference | Respect and Dignity in the Workplace — How to Prevent a Toxic Environment
October 14, 2020
- Event 2020 ICSC U.S. Law Conference | Privacy and Data Security Issues for Landlords and Tenants — AKA How to Survive CCPA
October 14, 2020
- Building Connections: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Davis+Gilbert Counsel 2U® Labor + Employment Webinar | The Journey to Achieve Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
October 10, 2020
- View More
- University of Michigan (J.D., 1988)
- Cornell University (B.S., 1985)
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2012-2023, Employment Law – Management
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business® 2013-2022, New York Labor & Employment
- The Legal 500 United States® 2013-2022, Labor and Employment: Workplace and Employment Counseling
- New York Metro Super Lawyers® 2007-2021, Employment & Labor
- Lawdragon 500 2019-2021, U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers
- New York
- U.S. District CourtSouthern District of New York
- U.S. District CourtEastern District of New York
Member, Davis+Gilbert Executive Committee
Advisory Board Member, The Cornell University’s Center for Hospitality Research
Advisory Board Member, The Cornell Institute for Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations
Editorial Advisory Board Member, Hospitality Law