Areas of Focus
Daniel Dingerson protects the interests of global advertising agencies, marketing companies, retailers and manufacturers in a wide range of complex commercial and trademark litigation and class actions. He resolves difficult business disputes, protects trademark rights and focuses on strategies to avoid costly litigation.
Experience solving challenges in a number of industries helps Daniel understand the perspectives of his clients, their partners and their adversaries, and provide practical and creative advice. He drives efficient and effective results that meet client needs today while addressing future risks and opportunities that can arise within the overall framework of their operations.
Daniel’s advice frequently helps clients resolve their matters preemptively through negotiations, mediation or arbitration. When litigation is necessary, he is involved in all aspects of a dispute — including developing strategies, conducting fact investigations, overseeing discovery, and crafting legal arguments — to position clients for positive results.
Understanding client needs at the outset of a dispute positions Daniel to assess the likelihood of success and potential risks inherent in litigation. Clients appreciate his willingness to spot weaknesses and suggest proactive measures that improve their processes and avoid future issues.
Earlier in his career, Daniel practiced at Foley & Lardner in Chicago representing financial services institutions, real estate corporations and investment trusts in complex commercial litigation.
- Protected trademarks of a worldwide provider of transportation and logistics services and won over $6 million in statutory damages and attorneys' fees in litigation concerning defendants’ willful infringement. Overcame resistance from the magistrate judge and prevailed on summary judgment, giving our client relief sooner. Also obtained injunctive relief to end defendants' infringement and for our client to use in deterring other infringers.
Defended a global information technology services company against multimillion dollar claims brought in federal court for breach of contract in connection with the termination of a lightning data services and software agreement. Achieved dismissal of the primary claims and resolved the remaining claims.
Defended a major advertising agency in a federal government investigation into alleged anti-competitive practices of bid-rigging involving the agency's largest client. Conducted an internal investigation and helped institute best practices for future bidding scenarios. Coordinated with senior executives to develop the agency's response to the government which resulted in the investigation being closed with no charges, no admission of liability, and no monetary penalties.
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of a major media and technology company in an earn-out dispute. Obtained complete dismissal of breach of contract and fraud claims seeking $18 million in damages and successfully defended the plaintiff's appeal.
- Defended a leading paint manufacturer in a class action alleging marketing and packaging misrepresentations concerning the paint's name and benefits. Negotiated a favorable class settlement using a claims-made structure and limiting payment to a small fraction of the asserted damages and potential exposure. The resolution also allowed the company to continue using a product name that had developed considerable brand equity.
Insights + Events
- University of California – Los Angeles (J.D., 2004)
- University of Michigan (B.B.A., with high distinction, 2001)
- New York
- U.S. District CourtSouthern District of New York
- U.S. District CourtEastern District of New York
- U.S. District CourtNorthern District of Illinois
- U.S. District CourtDistrict of Colorado
- U.S. Court of AppealsSecond Circuit
Member, Davis+Gilbert Corporate Social Responsibility