Areas of Focus
“Advertising law is the toy department of the legal world. It’s loud, assertive, creative and full of new and entertaining ideas.”
Aaron Taylor helps clients develop highly effective advertising campaigns across all media while avoiding legal pitfalls. When he’s not consulting on advertising claims and strategies, he asserts and defends false advertising challenges.
Aaron is deeply committed to ensuring that his clients’ advertising is as creative and aggressive as possible. Many of the world’s leading cosmetic, consumer health care, automotive, telecommunications and consumer technology companies rely on his counsel when revising their critical advertising claims. Because he's reviewed and advised on thousands of advertising campaigns, Aaron knows where the legal risks lie and how to address them.
Aaron draws on his litigation background and industry knowledge to challenge and defend advertising claims before the National Advertising Division (NAD) and National Advertising Review Board (NARB) of the Better Business Bureau. When defending claims, he focuses on outcomes that enable his clients to promote their brand as fully as possible with minimal interruptions to their campaigns. When asserting challenges, he works to quickly and permanently shut down competitors’ false claims. In all matters, his extensive experience enables him to anticipate the critical issues and precedents that will drive the outcome.
Earlier in his career, Aaron worked in public relations, representing a wide range of technology clients — an experience that helps him understand a marketer’s point of view. Aaron quickly grasps the nuances of a client’s business and communicates effectively with in-house teams when explaining complex legal issues.
Represented a multinational consumer health company in an advertising challenge brought before the NAD by a major consumer goods company, regarding the client's dietary supplement product. Achieved victory for our client by demonstrating that the core product efficacy claims were fully substantiated.
Advised a major automobile company in developing and implementing a marketing strategy for online pre-sale and reservation programs to promote the launch of new product lines. Routinely provided guidance for structuring and marketing retail sales events, including financing, lease, and cash-back offers, and special promotional programs, including limited offers, cash-back initiatives, contests and sweepstakes, to ensure compliance with appropriate state and federal laws.
Defended a global electronics company before the National Advertising Division (NAD) in a challenge to one of its category-busting products over alleged unsubstantiated product performance claims and environmental/Green marketing claims.
Won a critical appeal to the NARB (National Advertising Review Board) for a leading skin care brand of a global cosmetic company. The case represented a fundamental attack on the methodology of performance testing in the broader cosmetic category which, if unchanged, would have dramatically increased both the costs and complexity of consumer testing.
Insights + Events
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Navigating the Re-Entry of Live Events
April 13, 2022
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Alcoholic Beverages: Engaging with Consumers from a Distance
October 6, 2020
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law The NAD’s Need for Speed
October 6, 2020
- Event ACI’s 3rd Annual Advertising Claims Substantiation Conference | Advertising Claims 101: The Building Blocks of a Successfully Substantiated Advertising Campaign
January 28, 2020
- Event Association of National Advertisers / Brand Activation Association 41st Annual Marketing Law Conference
November 4, 2019
- Event Davis+Gilbert Counsel 2U® Advertising + Marketing Seminar | Regulators – FTC, State AG, Local and NAD – What’s New and What’s Next
October 23, 2019
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law The NAD Exposes Hidden Fees
July 10, 2019
- Event New York City State Bar Association’s Marketing and Advertising Law in a Rapidly Changing Social/Digital Media Environment | Influencer Marketing & the FTC Endorsement Guides
May 10, 2019
- Event Association of National Advertisers / Brand Activation Association 40th Annual Marketing Law Conference
November 7, 2018
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law The NAD Takes on Health and Fitness Fads (and a Few Kardashians in the Process)
May 24, 2018
- View More
- Cornell Law School (J.D., 2003)
- Haverford College (B.A., 1998)
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2024, Advertising Law
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2024, Consumer Protection Law
- The Legal 500 United States® “Next Generation Partner” 2017-2023, Advertising and Marketing: Transactional and Regulatory
- The Legal 500 United States® “Recommended Attorney” 2018-2019, Advertising and Marketing: Transactional and Regulatory
- New York
Member, American Bar Association
Member, New York State Bar Association