Areas of Focus
“I always strive to understand my client’s business, its culture and objectives so I can position the client for success.”
Stu Friedel counsels advertising agencies, advertisers, and consumer goods companies focused in the food, drug, dietary supplements and cosmetics industries. He handles complex issues at the intersection of advertising, marketing, intellectual property and technology, advising on advertising campaigns, product marketing challenges and labeling issues.
A pharmacist and former trial attorney with the FTC advertising and promotions regulatory division, Stu possesses exceptional pharma knowledge and insight into the laws and regulations governing advertising and labeling of consumer goods and services. He deftly guides clients through regulatory reviews and approvals, ensures compliance with myriad and often esoteric requirements, and surmounts get-to-market obstacles.
Stu helps clients develop product advertising and labeling that forestall government and private actions. When necessary, he represents clients before the FTC, FDA, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), state attorneys general, the National Advertising Division, the Children’s Advertising Review Board, and major broadcast networks. He also advises on advertising copy and telemarketing scripts and negotiates advertising, marketing, and promotions industry contracts.
Whether he is advising a U.S. business or an international company seeking to bring its products to market in the U.S., Stu’s practical approach, attention to detail and keen understanding of his clients’ industries and the inner workings of U.S. regulatory agencies prove invaluable.
Helped a luxury beauty brand resolve class action demand letters alleging false and deceptive advertising of cosmetic products under the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
Assisted a cosmetic company in resolving class action demand letters regarding impermissible drug claims under the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act. Counseled the client regarding permissible cosmetic claims to manage legal risk while remaining competitive in the marketplace.
Advised an international prestige brand on rebranding an entire line of cosmetic products, reviewing product packaging, website copy and other marketing materials. Provided guidance regarding testing and survey design, claim substantiation and regulatory compliance.
Advised a multinational personal care and beauty products retailer on a green marketing campaign, which included review of online marketing materials and in-store signage. Provided guidance on compliance with the Federal Trade Commission’s Green Guides and prepared vendor agreements for this campaign.
Assisted a major multinational cosmetic and personal care brand in developing a dietary supplement product in compliance with Food and Drug Administration standards. Provided guidance from the initial concept stage, including new dietary ingredients, to full commercialization, which included permissible claims and structure/function claim notifications.
Represented an online retailer on luxury bedding and related products in a threatened consumer class action over the type and origin of the materials. This included challenges to the advertising, packaging, and labeling of consumer goods and textile fiber products, such as “bamboo” products. Resolved the matter to allow the company to market and sell its products in a commercially competitive and uninterrupted manner.
Assisted a brand in compliance with the Consumer Product Safety Act. Addressed regulatory issues relating to children's products and adult collectables, including advising on marketing materials, product design and product packaging, to advise client in developing a collectable product. Ensured compliance with relevant rules promulgated by the Consumer Safety Products division.
Insights + Events
- Alert Can You Back That Claim Up? FTC Sends Nearly 700 Notices About Substantiating Product Claims
April 17, 2023
- Alert Don’t Be Bamboozled by Environmental Benefit Claims
April 20, 2022
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law The Changing Regulatory Paradigm for Food Delivery Services
April 13, 2022
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law How “Sustainable” Are Your Sustainable Cosmetics Marketing Claims?
April 13, 2022
- Alert Heightened California Compliance Obligations for Cosmetic Companies on the Horizon
November 11, 2021
- Alert California Law Restricts Recyclability Claims
November 5, 2021
- Alert FTC Can No Longer Seek Monetary Penalties for Violations of Unfair or Deceptive Practices
May 11, 2021
- Alert ViacomCBS Issues Advertising Guidelines for Its Adult Directed Networks
April 15, 2021
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Regulators Target False Advertising for Post-Secondary Education
October 6, 2020
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law How “Natural” Is That Cosmetic? Legislators May Decide.
October 6, 2020
- View More
- University of Maryland (L.L.B., 1967)
- University of Maryland (B.S., 1963)
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021-2024, Advertising Law
- The Legal 500 United States® 2013-2014, Advertising and Marketing: Transactional and Regulatory
- BTI Consulting Group “Client Service All-Star Team” 2008
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
Member, American Bar Association
Member, New York State Bar Association