Areas of Focus
Joy Wildes plays a key role in the creative branding process with strategic trademark, advertising and intellectual property (IP) advice. Her solutions help companies and creative agencies protect their brands while pursuing their business objectives in the United States and internationally.
While working across a range of industries, including automotive, financial services, food services, sports and consumer products, Joy focuses on removing trademark obstacles and advertising concerns to help clients move forward. Her cost-effective and strategic filing programs provide thoughtful and effective brand protection.
Joy approaches contentious trademark matters from a business and legal perspective. She strives to achieve settlement agreements that establish boundaries, clearly define usage terms and maintain brand integrity. Joy also negotiates and drafts licensing and other IP agreements to help clients monetize their brands.
She has established deep relationships with marketing agencies and in-house client teams that appreciate her understanding of the creative process and collaborative approach.
Before she joined Davis+Gilbert, Joy spent several years as in-house counsel at Carter-Wallace Inc., a personal care products and pharmaceutical company. In that role, she experienced the unique perspectives and challenges her in-house counsel clients regularly face. This further provides her with an ability to take a broader view of brand goals when considering trademark and marketing needs to inform valuable and practical legal advice.
Overseeing a global project for a U.S. professional sports players organization. Handling clearance, prosecution, maintenance and enforcement in the use and registration of the name and logo in the United States and in over 80 other countries in multiple merchandise and service categories.
Advising and protecting a national tax preparer client brand on clearance strategies, protection, enforcement, and advertising of its brands including related agreements.
Counseling an international eyewear company on brand protection strategies; police and enforce rights against the worldwide unauthorized reproductions, sale and other misuse of the brand; and protect and uphold the value of trademarks for merchandising and related uses. Oversaw settlement and license agreements regarding this iconic brand.
Represented a U.S. insurance company in trademark and false advertising dispute matters in the United States, and coordinated trademark dispute matters in foreign countries as part of its global and U.S. expansion strategy in marketing and commercial activities.
Defended a women's fashion house in various trademark and copyright dispute matters with favorable outcomes, and without the matters escalating into major litigations.
Insights + Events
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Spinning Out of Trademark Protection: Highly Distinctive Marks Versus Generic Terms
April 13, 2022
- Publication Practical Law | Trademark Laws: New York
December 3, 2021
- Publication LawInSport | Controlling Athletes’ Trademarks: What Can Sports Learn From WWE’s Trademark Ownership?
October 15, 2021
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Black Lives Matter Movement Sparks Branding Changes
October 6, 2020
- Alert Supreme Court Unanimously Rules That Willfulness Is Not Required to Recover Profits
July 7, 2020
- Alert The Impact of COVID-19 on U.S. Trademark Applications and Registrations
April 2, 2020
- FAQ Thomson Reuters Practical Law | Trademark Laws: New York
August 26, 2019
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law No Longer “FUCT” — Scandalous Mark Provision Struck Down by Supreme Court
July 10, 2019
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law What’s In a Name?
May 24, 2018
- Publication Practical Law: The Journal | Trademark Laws: New York
January 16, 2018
- View More
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 1992)
- Cornell University (B.S., 1989)
- New York
- U.S. District CourtSouthern District of New York
- U.S. District CourtEastern District of New York
Member, Davis+Gilbert Women's Forum Committee
Member, International Trademark Association
― Member, Brands and Innovation Committee
Member, New York State Bar Association
— Member, Intellectual Property Law Section
Member, American Bar Association