Will Szanzer helps employers establish and maintain competitive employee benefits plans. Startups and large public companies appreciate his focus on ensuring their retirement and health and welfare packages fit within their organizational culture and remain in compliance with applicable laws.
Will provides effective strategies human resource and in-house teams can use to confront complex benefits issues and enforcement concerns. He helps employers administer their 401(k) and pension plans properly by explaining plan terms and how to correct any issues. In assessing HIPAA and ACA compliance obligations, he uses a thoughtful and diligent approach to spot issues early and help avoid penalties. When reporting mistakes do happen, Will has deep experience dealing with the IRS’s appeals process, which helps clients reduce their ACA penalties and resolve matters quickly.
Will frequently assists benefits leaders in negotiating their administrative contracts. Drawing on his vast experience, he can anticipate when and where to challenge a vendor to secure favorable terms for clients.
Will also reviews benefits and compensation matters that arise in mergers and acquisitions, including those involving executive compensation arrangements.
Before he joined Davis+Gilbert, Will was a Tax Senior in the People Advisory Services Group at EY.
Advised an international company on post-acquisition matters involving qualified retirement plans (e.g., 401(k) plan), including streamlining the plan merger process. Drafted necessary plan amendments and resolutions effectuating the mergers.
Advised a marketing and communications company on de-risking strategies for its defined benefit pension plan, including offering a lump window to terminated participants and spinning off certain assets to a new plan. Drafted necessary plan amendments and coordinated appropriate government filings.
Drafted a long term incentive plan for a boutique media and entertainment company to properly incentivize key employees to continue to improve company performance and increase company value, as well as providing for an effective retention tool.
Advise a healthcare technology company on HIPAA compliance, including negotiating business associate agreements and preparing responses to suspected breaches of protected health information.
Advised an international company with respect to its obligations to provide health benefits under the San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance, including preparing quarterly and annual compliance reports and responding to audit requests from the city of San Francisco.
Insights + Events
- Alert IRS Updates Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System
September 16, 2021
- Demystifying COVID-19 Complexities and Thriving in Uncertain Times Counsel 2U® Labor + Employment Webinar | Workplace Re-Openings and Non-COVID Updates
June 24, 2021
- Alert IRS Provides Much Needed Guidance on COBRA Premium Subsidy
May 27, 2021
- Alert COBRA Changes Under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021
March 17, 2021
- Alert Regulators Clarify COVID-19 Relief Deadline Extension
March 8, 2021
- Alert New York State’s Budget Amends the NY Home Care Worker Wage Parity Law
September 24, 2020
- Alert IRS Provides Cafeteria Plans with Flexibility Due To COVID-19
June 3, 2020
- Alert Retirement Plans: Regulators Provide Relief from Certain ERISA Requirements During the COVID-19 Crisis
May 6, 2020
- Alert Group Health Plans: Regulators Extend Deadlines During the COVID-19 Crisis
May 6, 2020
- Alert Los Angeles and San Francisco Issue New Legislation and Employer Guidance in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic
April 16, 2020
- View More
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors, 2013)
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County (B.A., summa cum laude, 2009)
- New York
Member, Davis+Gilbert Health Insurance Plans Committee
Member, Davis+Gilbert Retirement Plans Committee
Member, New York State Bar Association