Areas of Focus
“Knowing the law is not enough. Clients want practical lawyers who understand their business and deal fundamentals and can provide the best advice to close the deal.”
Tax partner Stephen Foley advises on the tax intricacies of mergers, acquisitions and investment transactions, as well as on structuring business operations, and general tax and corporate matters. With extensive experience in all aspects of individual, corporate and partnership taxation, he counsels a who’s who of industry leaders, funds, and private equity and venture capital firms in the financial services, advertising and marketing industries.
Stephen combines deep knowledge of his clients’ industries with an understanding of the financial elements of transactions and how to combine them with tax and legal structuring. He is known for delivering the results clients need with minimal tax friction.
Having practiced in New York and internationally, Stephen possesses a broad perspective on domestic and cross-border tax issues. He knows which terms are “market” and which are not, across a wide variety of situations and jurisdictions, adding tremendous value to his advice on challenging, complex matters.
Stephen’s clients have long depended on his skill in addressing the legal and tax aspects of their partnerships with hedge funds, private equity and real estate ventures. They also value his acumen in establishing funds, structuring leveraged buyouts, handling international restructurings and crafting tax-efficient strategies.
Provided tax advice to an international translation company in the acquisition of a U.S. holding company with multiple European subsidiaries.
Guided a media holding company in tax matters during its acquisition of a management and technology consulting firm.
Advised an online travel shopping company in the divestiture of a luxury vacation, B2B wholesaler to a private equity firm.
Provided guidance on tax matters for an advertising health group in its acquisition of a full-service, patient engagement agency.
Advised an online travel shopping company in the divestiture of a luxury vacation B2B wholesaler to a private equity firm.
Insights + Events
- Alert New York State Introduces Elective Pass-Through Entity Tax
May 14, 2021
- Press Mention AdExchanger | Congress Puts Pressure on the App Stores; Multiple States Plan Digital Ad Tax Laws
April 26, 2021
- Alert Taxing Digital Advertisements Face Stiff Legal Challenges
April 22, 2021
- Press Mention AdExchanger | Apple Hit With IOS 14 Privacy Complaint in France; T-Mobile Loves Targeted Advertising
March 10, 2021
- Alert Maryland Passes Digital Advertising Tax
March 8, 2021
- Publication D+G Memorandum: Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (the CARES Act)
April 1, 2020
- Alert Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act: What You Need to Know
April 1, 2020
- Alert Tax Provisions Contained in the CARES Act
March 30, 2020
- Alert IRS Defers Tax Payment and Filing Obligations Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic
March 26, 2020
- New York University (LL.M. (Taxation), 1986)
- University of Michigan (J.D., magna cum laude, 1980)
- Note Editor, Michigan Law Review
- Cornell University (B.A., with distinction, 1977)
New York Metro Super Lawyers® 2009-2021, Tax
- New York
Member, American Bar Association
Member, New York State Bar Association
―Member, Tax Section
Member, New York City Bar Association
Former Trustee, Cornell University