“Providing insight on business practices, industry issues and recent developments is fundamental to adding client value. Combining all of this with reasoned judgment and sound risk analysis helps make my clients successful.”
Areas of Focus
Firm Chairman Ron Urbach has been a firsthand participant in the history and recent explosive growth of the advertising and marketing ecosystem — and the laws that apply to it. He advises marketing-driven clients in every sector and subsector, helping them successfully navigate legal issues with practical business solutions.
In the course of his career, Ron has seen industries and marketing practices emerge and adapt as technologies, regulatory frameworks and consumer needs change. This makes him a savvy guide, especially to companies that push the boundaries of business and law. Whether drafting agreements, handling challenges — governmental, competitor or consumer — or as an astute adviser, his unique perspective and ability to evaluate business risk in unsettled legal environments are indispensable to his clients.
To Ron, the law is more a tool than a restraint — it’s a means of moving his clients forward in practical and efficient ways. His clients credit him with speaking their language, with thinking like they do, and with appreciating the nuances of their business and the complexities of their markets. They see him as someone with a gift for translating arcane legal concepts and new regulatory schemes into actionable business advice.
Known as a key participant working with agencies, brands, media companies, online platforms and consumer-driven businesses of every stripe, Ron stays in front of the developments and innovations that drive their industries. In a field so dynamic and fast-moving, he takes it upon himself to see around corners and to ferret out the next opportunity — or threat — his clients will have to face.
In working with clients and sectors so intensely and completely, Ron provides a holistic view of the legal and business issues that are often intertwined. Taking a solutions-first attitude, Ron helps clients achieve their business goals as he resolves their legal issues. Seeing beyond the law and the legal task while thinking and feeling like a client is a hallmark of Ron’s practice.
Working with a top advertising agency and its global automotive client to ensure that all advertising, marketing, promotion, talent, production, music and related activities, materials and programs are legally compliant throughout the world, while providing all necessary agreements and transactional support.
Representing one of the top four national pizza chains on all its advertising and marketing needs as it launches innovative new products and services, offers new promotional programs, and makes new claims to successfully compete for consumers on a global scale.
Defended a global electronics company before the National Advertising Division (NAD) in a challenge to one of its category-busting products over alleged unsubstantiated product performance claims and environmental/Green marketing claims.
Advising a Black-owned digital advertising and content creation agency on M&As and corporate acquisitions to expand strategically. Counseled the company on implementing operational best practices, balancing legal and business needs, advertising production and digital app development including the launch of an innovative wellness app directed to women of color.
Won a critical appeal to the NARB (National Advertising Review Board) for a leading skin care brand of a global cosmetic company. The case represented a fundamental attack on the methodology of performance testing in the broader cosmetic category which, if unchanged, would have dramatically increased both the costs and complexity of consumer testing.
Represented a multinational video game and digital entertainment company in a seminal case before the FTC focused on the advertising of a new portable video game player and its interplay with third-party software video games. The case involved statements that pushed the boundary of what constitutes a real claim and the question of whether advertising agency employees must disclose their material connection to the agency and its client when they promote a client’s products on social media.
Working with a top global food company with a diverse range of products in multiple categories on advertising, marketing and promotions. Advising on comparative advertising claims and substantiation, sponsorship and promotional activities, partnerships with charitable organizations and social media influencer arrangements.
Defended a multinational automobile manufacturer in an action brought by the FTC over the use of demonstrations, claims versus puffery or “reasonable person,” adequacy of disclosures, and substantiation or “reasonable basis.” Not just a warning to the entire industry, this is the first automotive demonstration case brought by the FTC since the Volvo case, which builds on the foundational principles espoused in the Campbell’s Soup marbles and Rapid Shave sandpaper cases.
Insights + Events
- Event Association of National Advertisers/Brand Activation Association 43rd Annual Marketing Law Conference
November 15 - 17, 2021
- Alert FTC Can No Longer Seek Monetary Penalties for Violations of Unfair or Deceptive Practices
May 11, 2021
- Event American Bar Association Webinar | You’ve Come a Long Way, Baby! NAD at 50 and a Look Back at Advertising Self-Regulation
January 27, 2021
- Event Association of National Advertisers/Brand Activation Association 42nd Annual Marketing Law Conference
November 10, 2020
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law The NAD’s Need for Speed
October 6, 2020
- Trends in Marketing Communications Law Regulators Target False Advertising for Post-Secondary Education
October 6, 2020
- Alert COVID-19: A Guide to Analyzing Risks for Marketers and Agencies
March 27, 2020
- Publication Advertising Week 360 | 2020: Truth, Change and Creative Storytelling
- Press Mention American Sweepstakes | 41th Annual ANA/BAA Marketing Law Conference Review
November 13, 2019
- Event Association of National Advertisers / Brand Activation Association 41st Annual Marketing Law Conference
November 4, 2019
- View More
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis (J.D., 1976)
- Clark University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1973)
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2010-2022, Advertising Law
- The Best Lawyers in America® New York City “Lawyer of the Year” 2020, Advertising Law
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business® 2006-2021, Nationwide Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory
- The Legal 500 United States® “Hall of Fame” 2020-2021, Advertising and Marketing: Transactional and Regulatory
- The Legal 500 United States® “Hall of Fame” 2020-2021, Advertising and Marketing: Litigation
- The Legal 500 United States® “Leading Lawyer” 2008-2021, Advertising and Marketing: Transactional and Regulatory
- New York Metro Super Lawyers® 2007-2021, Media & Advertising
- New York
Member, Davis+Gilbert Executive Committee
Member, Brand Activation Association
— Member, Board of Advisors
— Member, Legal Affairs Committee
— Chair, Legal Center of Excellence (COE)
Member, American Association of Advertising Agencies
― Member, Legal Affairs Committee
Member, New York State Bar Association