“Closing deals is great, but I love partnering with clients throughout their journey. It’s incredibly fulfilling to build strong relationships with my clients and see all of their hard work pay off.”
Areas of Focus
Justin Pollak brings passion and experience to counseling emerging growth companies and venture capital investors. Taking a soup-to-nuts approach, he advises high-growth businesses throughout their entire life cycle, from formation through seed-stage and growth investments, and ultimately to exit. His clients include leaders of data-driven businesses as well as investors in the digital media, fintech, enterprise software and fashion industries.
From early-stage corporate structuring to complex mergers and acquisitions between cross-border industry giants, Justin’s industry insight and proven judgment go far beyond just the legal issues.
Startup clients bring him in early for critical advice and strategic guidance on decisions that impact their businesses long term. He helps them evaluate entity structures and capital needs, nail down a business model, and incentivize their teams. Likewise, investors look to him to structure deals and negotiate terms that balance their economic and governance requirements in a way that permits the company to continue its growth trajectory. In collaborating with investors and founders, Justin builds strong relationships and achieves the best result for all stakeholders. His results-driven approach ensures transactions that work now and keep his clients agile for future opportunities.
Deeply engaged with the startup and venture communities, and experienced on both sides of the deal, Justin is a source of industry intelligence and creative solutions for both businesses and their investors. Since 2017, he has served as an advisor in Cornell Tech’s Startup Studio program, providing feedback to future entrepreneurs on everything from their fundamental business assumptions to revenue models. He is an active member of Red Bear Angels, an investment group focused on angel investments in startup companies with ties to Cornell University.
Represented a leading direct-to-consumer provider of insulated drinkware for adult beverages in its first institutional round of financing—a $20-million, Series A financing from a consumer-focused, private equity firm.
Represented a New York-based, venture capital fund in its investment in an online fantasy sports company's $55-million, convertible note financing. The bridge funding round was ultimately part of the financing that established the company's unicorn status.
Represented an automated creative testing platform for brands and agencies in its multimillion dollar Series A preferred stock financing led by a venture capital fund.
Advised the lead investor in a preferred equity investment in a clothing company.
Insights + Events
- Event Fundable Startups Webinar | Startup Fundraising from Founders, Friends + Family
May 12, 2021
- Event International Trade Council’s StartUp Summit | Basics of Fundraising Term Sheet and Shareholders Agreement
January 19, 2021
- Demystifying COVID-19 Complexities and Thriving in Uncertain Times Paycheck Protection Program
July 9, 2020
- Alert Additional Assistance Available: Certain SBA Loan Subsidies Under the CARES Act
June 16, 2020
- Alert Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020
June 8, 2020
- Alert Latest Guidance on Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiveness
May 27, 2020
- Event Viventium Webinar | Viventium Webinar Demystifying PPP Forgiveness
May 21, 2020
- Demystifying COVID-19 Complexities and Thriving in Uncertain Times Main Street Business Lending Program Updates
May 20, 2020
- Alert The Paycheck Protection Program “Necessity Certification” — The Review, Safe Harbor and Potential Penalties
May 14, 2020
- Alert Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act to Appropriate Additional Funds for Small Business Loans
April 24, 2020
- View More
- Emory University School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Emory University, Goizueta Business School (M.B.A., 2008)
- Cornell University (B.S., 2004)
- New York
Fellow, Carpenter-Walsh Pro Bono Inn of Court