Areas of Focus
Derick Dailey contributes to strategies that resolve litigation matters quickly and, when possible, avoid litigation completely. Drawing on real-world experience as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, he helps media services corporations, financial services organizations and manufacturing companies investigate and confront a wide range of disputes arising from collections, breach of contract and tort claims, and employment and intellectual property issues.
Derick facilitates creative pre-litigation resolutions to avoid mistakes and limit exposure. When litigation is inevitable, he drafts pleadings, motions and briefs and handles oral arguments in court and arbitration.
Derick gained valuable federal litigation experience as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Civil Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Delaware. He served as chief of the Financial Litigation Unit, where he managed the collection of millions of dollars in federal restitution; oversaw the consumer bankruptcy docket; defended federal agencies in Federal Tort Claims Act, Bivens, tax and appellate litigation; led ADA-related civil rights investigations; and aided in the prosecution of white collar criminal cases.
In addition to complex commercial litigation, Derick also manages a robust pro bono portfolio representing clients in state and federal courts — most recently handling an immigration-related appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Represent a multibillion dollar security services company in actions in New York and California involving a contract dispute with a large real estate company for payment of services.
Represent a large diversified financial services and telecommunications company in an arbitration of a dispute with a former employee involving employment and real estate-related claims worth millions of dollars.
Represent a national banking association in negligence and contract cases against a foreign bank, a retailer and a real estate owner involving property damage sustained by our client. Involved significant insurance and subrogation issues, several third parties and substantial motion practice in and out of court. Currently working to collect millions of dollars in judgment from several defendants after winning dismissal of one of the cases on the merits; the remaining cases are pending.
Insights + Events
- Checklist Top 10 Considerations: Document Retention and E-discovery in the Remote Work Environment
October 11, 2021
- Event National HBCU Pre-Law Summit & Law Expo | From Law School Grad to Practicing Lawyer: What It Takes to Navigate the Job Search to Career Success
September 18, 2021
- Blog Post Student Loan Relief Is Extended, But Court Relief Remains Elusive
August 25, 2021
- Press Mention AdExchanger | Congress Puts Pressure on the App Stores; Multiple States Plan Digital Ad Tax Laws
April 26, 2021
- Alert Taxing Digital Advertisements Face Stiff Legal Challenges
April 22, 2021
- Publication The Agency 100 | States Seek to Tax Digital Advertising Revenue
April 20, 2021
- Event Lawline Webinars | Planning and Conducting Remote Depositions + Remote Trial Considerations: Juries, Witnesses & Evidence
April 15, 2021
- Publication Law360 | Garland Alone Cannot Transform Our Criminal Legal System (Op-Ed)
March 7, 2021
- Publication The Star-Ledger | Too Many Prosecutors Are Only Doing Half the Job (Op-Ed)
February 7, 2021
- Publication Hope’s Promise Publishing | Lessons from Successful African American Lawyers: Practical Wisdom for Those on the Path to Lawyerhood (Contributor)
- View More
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 2017)
- Stein Scholar
- Yale University (M.A., 2014)
- Dames Scholar
- Public Service Fellow
- Westminster College (B.A., 2011)
- Triple S Scholar
- The National Black Lawyers® “Top 40 Under 40” 2021, New York
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of AppealsFourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of AppealsEighth Circuit
Member, Davis+Gilbert Associates’ Committee
Member, Davis+Gilbert Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
Member, Davis+Gilbert Pro Bono Committee
Member, American Bar Association
Member, National Bar Association
Trustee, New Jersey’s Governor’s Reentry Training and Employment Center
Board Member, Bryan Allen Stevenson School of Excellence
Board Member, Yale Club of Philadelphia
Board Member, Justice Revival