New York, NY September 19, 2012 – Davis & Gilbert is proud to announce that nine of the firm’s partners have been recognized in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, the oldest and most venerable peer-review publication in the legal profession.
Advertising Law: The firm has unparalleled expertise in advertising law that reflects its over 100 year history in the advertising and marketing industry. Advertising attorneys recognized this year include:
- Ronald R. Urbach, Chairman/Co-Chair, was recognized for the fourth consecutive year. Mr. Urbach represents numerous multinational, national and regional advertising and marketing agencies, including those viewed as being the top creative agencies in the world, as well as some of the largest advertisers and marketers. Mr. Urbach’s practice covers every applicable issue and area from regulatory advice and defense, transactional drafting, review of advertising materials, analysis of marketing programs, and the application of intellectual property laws and rights of privacy and publicity.
- Gerald B. Schwartz, Co-Chair, was recognized for the first time. With over 40 years of experience, Mr. Schwartz is regularly involved in the review and negotiation of contracts between advertising agencies and their clients as well as all forms of advertising, dealing with issues such as claim substantiation, false advertising, demonstrations, guarantees, testimonials and copyright and trademark matters, New York State sales tax issues, as well as the negotiation and preparation of various forms of contracts.
- Howard R. Weingrad, Partner, was recognized for the third consecutive year. Mr. Weingrad has extensive experience in counseling clients on music, copyright, rights of privacy and publicity, and talent issues, as well as matters involving broadcast and digital advertising production and social media advertising. He is one of the country’s leading attorneys in matters involving the complex provisions and implications of the Screen Actors Guild, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, the American Federation of Music and other advertising and entertainment industry collective bargaining agreements.
- Joseph J. Lewczak, Partner, was recognized for the third consecutive year. Mr. Lewczak has particular expertise in the areas of games of chance, complex skill contests, telemarketing, direct mail and charitable solicitations. He represents numerous multinational, national and local advertising agencies, promotions agencies, advertisers, direct marketers, and telemarketers in connection with all aspects of advertising, promotions, marketing, direct marketing and telemarketing.
Employment Law: Attorneys in the firm’s Labor & Employment practice have extensive experience counseling and advising companies, particularly in the service sector, on all types of employment and related litigation matters. The following attorneys were recognized this year in the Employment Law category:
- Howard J. Rubin, Co-Chair of the Litigation and Labor and Employment practice groups, was recognized for the first time. Mr. Rubin counsels a broad range of employers on all aspects of employment law including employment policies and practices, discrimination, restrictive covenants, fair labor standards and affirmative action plans. He has also litigated numerous employment related disputes in state and federal courts and in arbitrations through FINRA and the AAA.
- Gregg A. Gilman, Co-Chair, was recognized for the second consecutive year. Mr. Gilman advises employers on all workplace-related matters, including wage and hour issues, preventive management, terminations, reductions in force, disciplinary measures, restrictive covenants, executive compensation, harassment investigations, and employment policies.
Litigation: Davis & Gilbert’s litigators are seasoned trial and appellate attorneys with extensive experience representing clients in specialized service sector industries on a full spectrum of commercial matters. The following partner was included this year:
- Michael C. Lasky, Co-Chair, was recognized for the first time in the category Litigation – Labor & Employment. With over 30 years of experience, Mr. Lasky has litigated complex commercial and employment cases in a number of industries, in particular the marketing communications, financial services, and transportation industries. He has litigated through trial and appeal some of the leading trade secrets and fiduciary duty cases in New York. He is also a noted authority on the use and enforceability of various post-employment restrictions on competition and the movement of talent between competitive organizations.
Real Estate Law: Davis & Gilbert offers one of New York City’s preeminent real estate practices, and is particularly well-known for handling some of Manhattan’s largest retail, office and commercial leases on behalf of owners, landlords and tenants. The following partners were included this year:
- Gerald R. Uram, Partner/Chair, was recognized for the third consecutive year. Mr. Uram has over 40 years of experience representing businesses in the buying, selling and leasing of property throughout the United States. He has handled headquarters leases for a number of nationally recognized companies across multiple industry sectors and has represented both landlords and tenants in some of the largest leasing transactions in New York City.
- Mark E. Maltz, Partner, was recognized for the first time. Mr. Maltz represents prominent real estate owners and Fortune 500 companies in all types of complex commercial real estate transactions across the country, including financings, dispositions, acquisitions, and commercial leases. A significant portion of Mr. Maltz’s work is devoted to representing building owners and tenants in their office and retail leasing needs.
About The Best Lawyers in America
For more than three decades, Best Lawyers has come to be regarded - by both the legal profession and the public - as the definitive guide to legal excellence in the U.S. The new 2013 Best Lawyers is based on a rigorous national survey involving more than 4.3 million detailed evaluations of lawyers by other lawyers.
About Davis & Gilbert LLP
Davis & Gilbert LLP is a strategically focused, full-service law firm of more than 110 lawyers. Founded over a century ago and located in a single office in New York City, the firm represents a wide array of clients - ranging from small, independent start-ups to some of the world’s largest public companies - throughout the United States and internationally. Davis & Gilbert is widely regarded as the #1 law firm for the marketing communications industry and also has specialty practices focusing on middle market M&A, intellectual property, litigation, labor & employment, office & retail leasing and private client services. Davis & Gilbert has been ranked in publications and legal directories such as Chambers, Legal 500, and “Best Law Firms,” and the firm was recognized in The National Law Journal’s 2012 Midsize Hot List.
For more information, please contact:
Chief Marketing Officer